Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education
Regional Unit for Social and Human Sciences in Asia and the Pacific
Regional Advisor for Culture in Asia and the Pacific
Advisor for Communication and Information in Asia
Regional Advisor for the UNESCO Institute for Statistics
Ref.: 133.27.2/14 19 March 2014
Subject: Call for Nominations for the Wenhui Award for Educational Innovation 2014
I am pleased to inform you about the Wenhui Award for Educational Innovation 2014, sponsored by the National Commission of the People’s Republic of China for UNESCO since 2010. The Wenhui Award aims to recognize outstanding individuals or institutions who have contributed significantly to the development of educational innovations in the Asia and Pacific region.
Two winners will be selected, each receiving a Certificate of Excellence and prize money of US$ 20,000 at the China Hangzhou International Conference on Educational Innovations. Certificates of Merit may also be awarded to individuals or institutions to acknowledge their commendable innovative practices.
The theme of the 2014 Wenhui Award, Innovation in Lifelong Learning: Bridging to the Future, is in line with UNESCO’s vision of education and the post-2015 education agenda to underscore the importance of learning throughout life for human fulfilment, peace, sustainable development, economic growth, gender equality and responsible global citizenship. The Award will also give due consideration to the potential of ICT to support lifelong learning now and in the future.
Individuals or institutions in UNESCO Member States in Asia and the Pacific region will be eligible to be nominated for the Award. To qualify for nomination, the candidates shall possess the following qualifications or attributes:
• Have demonstrated their ability in developing innovative practices that have enhanced educational contents, pedagogies, skills and knowledge to enable lifelong learning.
• Have verified the positive impact of their innovations in education in bringing about noticeable changes in values, mindsets and practices about lifelong learning for now and in the future.
• Have proven their commitment in promoting and translating the principles of lifelong learning into action; and
• Have established that their innovative practices are current and relevant to the educational issues of the 21st century.
www.unescobkk.org 920 Sukhumvit Road
Prakanong, Bangkok Thailand 10110
Tel: +662 3910577
Fax: +662 3910866
The Award Secretariat is calling for nominations following the procedures below:
• Nominations shall be submitted to the Award Secretariat at UNESCO Bangkok through the National Commissions for UNESCO, UNESCO Offices and other organizations associated with UNESCO, using an official Award Application Form available online at http://www.unescobkk.org/education/apeid/wenhuiaward2014.
• Each nomination must be accompanied by the following attachments:
o Description of the candidate’s/institution’s background and achievements (1
page, A4 size, in English)
o Summary of work, publications and other relevant documents of major
importance (maximum of 4 pages, A4 size, in English)
o Evidence to support the nomination of the candidate (may be in English or local
o Letter(s) of recommendation (in English or local languages)
o Consent form for use and distribution of materials
• All nominations must reach the Award Secretariat by 30 June 2014.
Wenhui Award Secretariat APEID-UNESCO Bangkok
920 Sukhumvit Road, Prakanong Bangkok 10110, Thailand
Tel: (66-2) 391-0577 Fax: (66-2) 391-0866
The winners and awardees of Certificates of Merit will be selected by a jury of distinguished educators from the Asia-Pacific region.
Attached is the 2014 Wenhui Award brochure for your reference. If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact the Award Secretariat for further information: Tel: (66-2) 391-0577; Fax: (66-2) 391-0866; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
In keeping with the spirit of ESD, our correspondence on this matter will only be in electronic versions. If you need hard copies, we will be happy to send them to you by regular mail.
Please accept, Sir/Madam, the assurances of my highest consideration.
Encl: Wenhui Award brochure